Many people are excited by the Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals, but there are actually many things that you can buy at a steal after Christmas. Stock up in late December and early January, and use many of the items throughout the year or save them for the Christmas season next year.
Why are so many items on sale? Retailers want to clear out their holiday inventory and their heavy winter clothes as they prepare for the spring selling season. In addition, January 1st is a heavily marketed period for those companies that help people get in shape and lose weight.
Here are some steals you can expect to find after Christmas:
1. Anything with a holiday theme or pattern. If you don’t have quite enough holiday decorations, buy them at 50% or more off after Christmas for next year. This also applies to big purchases like artificial Christmas trees. Now is also the time to buy Christmas cards for next year as well as wrapping paper.
You can pick up items with a holiday theme and use them all year long at a steal. I frequently make muffins, and muffin liners usually cost $1.50 for a pack. I stocked up on red and green ones after Christmas for .20 a pack, and we used them all year. Another idea is to buy discounted candy like red wrapped Hershey’s Kisses and save them to give to kids and friends on Valentine’s Day.
2. Winter jackets. Retailers are looking to shed their winter inventory for the spring inventory, and they deeply discount winter jackets, snow pants, and boots as well as gloves and hats. I always buy my kids’ winter clothes in January for the next year so I never have to pay full price.
3. Gym memberships. If you want to get in shape, your local gym will offer a steep discount on memberships to lure you in for a year or more. Make sure you are committed, though; many people join a gym for a year but only actually use the membership for a few months.
4. Exercise equipment. Many people buy exercise equipment for Christmas presents and New Year’s resolutions. Look to buy these in late January at a deep discount. Or, you can wait until March and buy exercise equipment from those selling on Craigslist once they realize they aren’t actually going to use the item and it is just taking up space!
5. Jewelry. Jewelry is often on sale in January. If you are planning to give a gift of jewelry for Mother’s Day or Valentine’s Day, buy it during the January sales to save a bundle.
6. Televisions. Wait to buy until late January, and you could get a deal on a new television set thanks to Super Bowl sales.
7. Calendars. By mid-January, retailers will want the 2013 calendars gone. If you don’t mind having fewer choices, you will save as much as 75% off by waiting a few more weeks to get your calendar.
8. Toys. Retailers stock up on toys for the holiday season and then want to down size their toy section after the holidays. Many toys go on sale for 50% off or more. This could be a good time to stock up on toys for upcoming birthdays or next year’s Christmas presents.
We are conditioned to think of the sales around big events like Black Friday and Cyber Monday, but there are many sales going on after Christmas that may save you even more money than the widely advertised sales.
What are your favorite items to buy after Christmas?